The Emerging Visual Artist Award is a partnership initiative between Wexford County Council, Wexford Arts Centre and the Arts Council. The initiative supports promising visual artists in Ireland with an award of €5,000 and a solo exhibition at Wexford Arts Centre. This award is aimed at recognising and supporting the development of committed emerging artists, in kick starting their career and achieving professional recognition.
Who is eligible to apply for the Award?
Artists practicing any visual art form are eligible to apply for the award. Applicants must have resided in Ireland for a minimum twelve month period to be eligible to apply. Applicants cannot be currently enrolled in an undergraduate programme in their art form at the time of the application deadline.
What selection criteria will be used?
- Applicant's demonstrated commitment as a serious professional to her/his art form
- Overall excellence of the applicant's art work
- Demonstration of exceptional talent
Submissions must be emailed to email@example.com and include the following:
1) An up to date CV;
2) A statement about your work detailing themes, working methods and medium - 300 word limit;
3) A proposal in relation to the body of work which you intend to undertake - 350 word limit;
4) Timescale breakdown - research, production, delivery;
5) Budget breakdown - materials, travel, studio hire, etc.;
6) Examples of work to date i.e. documentation in the form of 10 Jpeg images. Full details for each image are required, i.e. title, medium, measurements, date of work. Three copies of each film, video or audiowork can be sent by post marked as Emerging Visual Artist Award, Wexford Arts Centre, Cornmarket, Wexford Town, Co. Wexford, Ireland.
Notes on Submissions
Please adhere to the following notes whilst preparing your application:
- Please format all information in one document and keep to the word limit on the artist statement and proposal;
- Please save each Jpeg image with the following details: Artist's Name_Title_Medium_Dimensions_Year;
For example: NoelSmith_LandscapeInBlue_AcrylicOnWoodenPanel_43x30cms_2013
- Please label each film, audio or video work with your name and contact number, work title, and duration;
- Do not submit any hard-copy material, for example catalogues, invitations, artist books, etc.;
Please enclose a €7.50 processing fee with your application. Cheques should be made payable to Wexford Arts Centre, or you can ring the Box Office at Wexford Arts Centre on +353 (0)53 9123764 with your payment card details.
The Emerging Visual Artist Award is a partnership initiative between the Arts Council, Wexford County Council and Wexford Arts Centre. The initiative is aimed at recognizing and supporting the development of emerging artists with a monetary award and a solo exhibition at Wexford Arts Centre.
The award programme has been running successfully since 2006 and has gained a reputation both locally and nationally as providing artists with an invaluable resource to further their practice and career.
Few award schemes operating in Ireland offer artists financial support and a solo exhibition with administrative, technical and curatorial assistance. Past recipients of the award have gained national exposure and further exhibition opportunities have become available to them.
Past recipients include:
Seamus Nolan, Karl Burke, Vera Klute, Niall de Buitléar, Bridget O’Gorman, Cecilia Danell
By opening the award to artists working all over Ireland and engaging professionals who have the appropriate expertise to review submissions, the award partners are guaranteeing that the resulting exhibitions are of an exceptionally high standard.