LSC County Artists Residency Award, 2019
The Leitrim Sculpture Centre in association with Wexford County Council are offering a residency award that provides those working in the field of contemporary visual arts, with the space, time and/or technical facilities for practical and conceptual research towards the development of new work.
Located in the market town of Manorhamilton, North County Leitrim, the Leitrim Sculpture Centre (LSC) is a major resource for the advancement of skills and knowledge in traditional, contemporary and experimental visual arts.
Specifically, the award supports artists wishing to explore new directions in their practice through experimental approaches to different materials, processes, ideas and/or techniques. Significantly the award is offered to artist without the pressure of them having to produce an exhibition, or specific project outcome-conclusion, during or at the end of the period. However artists may be invited to give a short presentation of previous and/or present work to a small local audience and are required to provide a short visual synopsis/report of work undertaken during the residency period.
The aim of the residency is to enhance and advance an artist’s creative engagement with a range of specified materials, techniques or ideas chosen by the applicant
The residency period is for 6 weeks and runs from 5th Aug – 15th Sept 2019. The award consists of:
• 6 weeks free live & work accommodation comprising a private studio- apartment with separate studio and bedroom areas; broadband, heating and access to communal kitchen, gardens and bathrooms.
• An artist’s stipend of €1,400.
• Free use of specified technical facilities and basic energy use.
• General technical support for practice-based work is provided during the period of the residency (approx. 15hrs total across 3 technical areas). Specialist or in-depth technical support, if required, may be sourced through the Centre’s list of freelance technicians and /or tutors at the recommended rate of €20 per hour.
• LSC also offers administrative and communication support in addressing creative requirements, locating supplies or other production needs
• Curatorial support if requested is limited to one visit during the residency period.
• Artists are expected to be based and work at the Centre for the duration of the residency period although periods of absence can be arranged in advance if required.
Leitrim Sculpture Centre’s Resources
LSC is unique in Ireland offering a comprehensive range of technical facilities in stone, metal casting and fabrication, hot glass, ceramics, woodwork, digital and traditional print, and mouldmaking, which artists may apply to use.
This award allows the artists access to a maximum of three technical areas of the artist’s choosing. Please specify in your application the technical area(s) you would like to work in.
LSC also houses a range of open planned workshops spaces within two of its three buildings and has 18 studios and a superb gallery. These resources provide artists with the freedom to explore a specific medium or range of material processes of their choosing with no pressure, and/or conduct research towards more conceptual work if required.
Residencies are open to all artists based in County Wexford. Artists will first apply by submitting a residency proposal. If successful a formal letter of offer will be issued granting the award and inviting the artist to work at the Sculpture Centre for a specified period during the coming year.
The specified period of the Residency for 2019 is 5th Aug – 15th Sept 2019
There is no application form and submissions are in the form of a Residency Project Proposal that should outline the areas of technical, material or theoretical involvement and describe the creative approach, methodology or processes to be undertaken or explored. Residency Proposals should include the following:
• A Project Proposal (up to 1 page) specifying why you are interested in this residency, the benefits to your practice and the technical areas you would like to work in.
• 6 images jpegs of previous work with captions explaining material, size, date etc.
• An up-to-date CV
• An artists’ statement and bio no more than ½ page each
• Quality of previous work
• Relevance of project proposal to this residency scheme
• Innovation within approaches to the materials, ideas and processes.
• The capacity of the proposed project to support the artist develop new work and ideas in the advancement of their practice
How to Send Proposals
Online application only: Please email your application in one PDF document no larger than 15 MB to: email@example.com
Please put in the subject line of the email –
‘LSC County Professional Development Residency (and your name)
Contact: Catriona O Sullivan, Arts Office, Wexford County Council. Tel: 053 9196369
Deadline for applications: Monday 15th April 2019.
Notification by: 30th April 2019.
For further information on the LSC’s facilities see: www.leitrimsculpturecentre.ie
LSC and Wexford County Council acknowledge the financial support of the Arts Council