Off the Road Declaration

How do I apply for an Off Road Declaration for my vehicle?

Declare the vehicle off the road using the online service

or download and print the R150 form

You can apply for a minimum of 3 months and a maximum of 12 months.

You can tax the vehicle at any time during the declared Off -Road period. The tax will be  from the start of the month in which you are taxing the vehicle.

Apply before the off the road period commences

Application must be received within the last month of a current tax period or current off the road declaration, e.g. If your tax or current declaration expires on the last day of June, and you wish to declare it off the road from July onwards, you must make the declaration in JUNE.

What if the application is late?

The owner must pay any arrears plus the minimum tax applicable before making a new off the road declaration.

Purchasing a new or used untaxed vehicle and you will not immediately be using it in a public place

When purchasing a new or used untaxed vehicle you must submit an application within 21 days of the purchase date, regardless of whether or not you have received your new Vehicle Registration Certificate (VRC).

Otherwise, the new owner is liable for the tax from the start of the month in which the vehicle was bought.