Fire Safety for Christmas

Friday, 22nd December 2017

In the event of fire

Dial 112 / 999 Immediately

Ask for the Fire Service

And stay on the line until the Operator tells you to hand up.

 

Smoke Alarms

  •      Smoke alarms alert you to the danger of fire and should give you time to react. 
  •      Two smoke alarms, properly located, would suit the average home. Test them regularly!
  •      You may install more smoke alarms in bedrooms, living rooms, attics – where you think something may go wrong,
         remember early warning is essential for everyone’s safety. 
  •      Most fires happen at night while people are asleep. Smoke may not wake you!
  •      Replace the battery when it chirps. NEVER leave your smoke alarm without a battery! 

Christmas Trees

  •      Real Christmas trees should be in a sturdy base with some water to prevent drying out.  A dried out tree is
         highly flammable.
  •      Artificial trees should be the pre-treated type which have increased flame resistance. 
  •      Keep Christmas trees away from candles, heaters, fire places or other heat sources.
  •      NEVER overload electrical sockets with extra lights!

Christmas Lights

  •      All electrical work (plugs, wiring, etc) should be carried out by a competent person. 
  •      Check lights from previous years, examine for worn wiring. If in doubt, throw them out! 
  •      NEVER overload sockets! 
  •      Unplug Christmas lights and appliances before leaving your home or going to bed at night.

Decorations

  •      Decorations can be highly flammable
  •      Keep decorations away from candles, open fires, stoves, lights and lamps
  •      Ensure decorations will not fall onto any heat source such as a lamp, open fire etc. 

Kitchens

  •      Most domestic fires start here. Keep an extinguisher and fire blanket close to the door.
  •      Keep saucepan handles turned in but not covering other rings. 
  •      Avoid the use of chip pans. If the oil catches fire, use a fire-blanket to put it out!
  •      Do not move the pan or use water to try to extinguish flames, this will only spread the fire.
  •      Clean the extractor hood yearly, grease can clog up the filter and provide fuel for fire.
  •      Ensure all electrical appliances and cables are well maintained.
  •      Ensure all gas appliances are installed by a competent gas installer. Switch off gas supplies at cylinders when not in
         in use. Check gas supply hoses and pipe work for damage and do not use until repair is carried out by a
         competent gas installer.

Living Areas

  •      If you allow smoking in your home, use stable ashtrays
  •      A burning cigarette end can smoulder for hours before igniting and spreading.
  •      Use a spark guard with all open fires to prevent burning embers from landing onto rugs.
  •      Portable heaters should be treated with care. NEVER use them for drying clothes!
  •      Clean your chimney at least once a year and twice if used frequently.
  •      When removing ashes (hot or cold), always use a metal bucket or container. Store the ashes outside away from
         any combustible items, ensure it is fully cooled down before disposing of it, this could take one to two days
         depending on contents.

Bedrooms

  •      NEVER leave mobile phone chargers / laptops / TVs / game consoles etc. plugged in overnight or when the
         room is unoccupied!
  •      NEVER smoke in bed or while tired. It is high risk and should be completely avoided!
  •      Check electric blankets regularly for wear or damage. Unplug them before going to sleep!
  •      If your bedroom window has a safety catch, know how to override it in an emergency!

Candles

  •      Keep them out of the reach of children, and never use them on or near Christmas trees!
  •      Always use an appropriate candle holder placed on a stable, heat-resistant surface.
  •      Keep flammable items away from candles (e.g. decorations, curtains, shelving etc).
  •      Never place candles on or close to the floor, they can cause loose clothing to catch fire!
  •      When leaving your house or going to bed always ensure candles are fully extinguished and cooled down.

Last thing at night…

  •      Remember, switch off and unplug all appliances!
  •      Extinguish cigarettes fully and empty ashtrays into the hearth or safely outside! 
  •      Candles should be extinguished!
  •      Ensure all escape routes are clear and exit doors can be opened easily.
  •      Close all doors to protect your escape route!
  •      Make sure your family and any guests know the escape routes from the house.
  •      Check - are those smoke alarms all working?

For further information on staying safe in your home visit:-
http://www.housing.gov.ie/community/fire-and-emergency-management/fire-safety/fire-safety-your-home

Contact