12 locations across County Wexford are set to benefit from almost €1.334 million in funding for a wide variety of community-led projects. The welcome news was announced today by Minister for Rural and Community Development, Michael Ring TD, when he gave details of grant allocations totalling more than €21 million to 224 towns and villages across Ireland under the 2018 Town and Village Renewal Scheme.
The Wexford applications submitted under the Scheme were identified by their respective local community groups and businesses in conjunction with Wexford County Council. Approved projects include community, tourism, employment initiatives and other measures aimed to help make small towns and villages more attractive and more sustainable places in which to live and work.
Under the Scheme, the majority of funding is earmarked for towns and villages with a population of 5000 of less, with each County Council invited to submit up to 12 applications to the Department of Rural and Community Development for consideration.
All 12 Wexford applications were successful with County Wexford receiving the highest proportion of funding nationally.
Welcoming the announcement, Cathaoirleach of Wexford County Council, Councillor Keith Doyle, paid tribute to all local community groups and associations across County Wexford and commended them on their continuing efforts to improve their local areas. CEO of Wexford County Council, Tom Enright, also warmly welcomed the announcement of funding for the Wexford applications and said the Council looks forward to supporting the 12 local communities in achieving their goals.
The Community Department of Wexford County Council is already carrying out preparatory work on the 2019 Town and Village Scheme and looks forward to assisting many other communities throughout the County with the development of more exciting and innovative project applications. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
About the Scheme
The Town and Village Renewal Scheme is an initiative under the Government’s Action Plan for Rural Development, Realising our Rural Potential and is part of a suite of national and local support measures to rejuvenate rural towns and villages throughout Ireland. It is funded by the Department of Rural and Community Development and is administered by the Local Authorities.
The delivery of an enhanced Town and Village Scheme was a commitment in the Programme for A Partnership Government and the Action Plan for Rural Development. Under the 2017 scheme, up to 80% of the total cost for each approved project will be provided by the Department, with the remaining 20% being provided either through community contribution and/or the Local Authority.
See below for a summary of projects approved in County Wexford:
|Applicant Group||Town/Village||Synopsis of Project||Amount Approved|
|Blackwater Parish Hall||Blackwater||Community Hall Refurbishment, Community Café, Coastal Walking Trails & Tourist Information Point||€200,000|
|Galbally Sports and Leisure Club||Galbally||Works to the Community Centre||€100,000|
|Courtnacuddy Development Group||Courtnacuddy||Village Health Check, Plan and Team and projects||€32,000|
|Courtown Development Association & Wexford County Council||Courtown/Riverchapel||Enhancement works to the Wooden Ship on Pier and to surrounding areas||€197,311|
|Ferns Development Association||Ferns||Themed playground, Tourism Project and enhancement to Community Hall||€99,580|
|Askamore Muintir na Tír Community project Ltd||Askamore||Repairs and enhancement to Community Hall||€63,999|
|Fethard Community Development Association||Fethard-on-Sea||Merchandising, Coastal Trail, Cycle Path & Public Amenity||€82,008|
|Saltmills & St Kearns||Saltmills||Marine, Walks and Village Enhancement Works||€85,470|
|Clongeen Community Development Group||Clongeen||Redevelopment and Refurbishment of local Community Hall||€100,000|
|Murrintown Community Development Group||Murrintown||Playground Facility, Village Field, Garden Area & Walking Track||€74,430|
|Stella Maris Centre, Kilmore Quay||Kilmore Quay||Extension to Stella Maris Centre||€200,000|
|Barntown Community Centre||Barntown||Works to Barntown Community Centre||€100,000|