The purpose of the scheme
This grant is funded by the Environment Section of Wexford County Council as part of their Waste Prevention Programme for the County (Ref: Action Policy B.1.2 and B.2. of the Southern Region Waste Management Plan 2015-2021). This scheme aims to support communities to take steps on waste prevention, re-use and repair activities in their local areas, and encourage partnership between local businesses, local schools, charities and voluntary groups.
What is Waste Prevention?
Essentially, it’s a process of re-thinking how we do things in order not to create waste. Preventing waste is about finding ways to keep items in use longer and not generating as much waste in the first place. It’s about rethinking the way we do things – redesigning the items we use – changing attitudes and changing behaviours about what we buy and what we throw away, but most of all, working together and thinking creatively to do something about it.
The fund will be available in 2022 and groups must apply online. Applications will only be accepted through the online application form and all correspondence will be by email using the email address submitted on the application form. The grant will only be paid once the project is completed and the group has sent in a report outlining the completion of the project.
Wexford County Council may pay a waste prevention grant up to a maximum of €500 to voluntary community groups for waste prevention projects in their local community. Please note that outcomes must be measurable.
Eligible projects that could be funded, but are not limited to, include:
• Repair skills workshops
• Upcycling workshops
• Elimination of single-use items
• Food waste prevention
Please note the Councils of the Southern Waste Management Region will be hosting a Re-Use Month in October 2022. Successfully funded projects must be willing to show case their results and/or be part of the Re-Use planned events.
Terms and Conditions
1. Applications will only be accepted through the online application form and all correspondence will be by email using the email address submitted on the application form.
2. Applicants should be aware that the scheme may be oversubscribed, in such circumstances all applications fulfilling the conditions may not be successful or may be for a lesser grant amount. Do not spend monies prior to approval for grant.
3. Applicants must show how they will deliver the waste prevention project by submitting a project schedule including a description of a method to quantifying waste prevented.
4. Applicants must be able to demonstrate the positive social and/or environmental impacts and benefits of their waste prevention project.
5. Applicants must describe how they will raise awareness of their waste prevention project within their community.
6. Closing date for receipt of applications is 5 pm Friday 6th May 2022
7. Applicants must describe how their project prevented waste and be able to have all expenditure complete by Friday 26th August 2022.
Payment of grants
1. The applicants will be informed if their application has been successful or not. If successful, the approved grant shall be paid to the name of the organisation specified on the Grant Application form. Please ensure that this name is the same as the name on the organisation’s bank account.
2. The full grant will only be paid once the project is complete and the group have sent in a report outlining the completion of the project.
3. The completion report must be submitted before Friday 26th August 2022 and must quantify the amount of waste prevented.
4. Please be advised that any grant that remains unclaimed after Friday 26th August 2022 will be cancelled.
Projects will be assessed on the following;
1. Description of Project Schedule.
2. Description of a method of quantifying waste prevented.
3. Demonstration of the positive social and/or environmental impacts and benefits of their waste prevention project.
4. Applicants must describe how they will raise awareness of their waste prevention project within their community.
5. Applications will be scored against value for money.
How to apply
Applications for the Local Waste Prevention Grant 2022 are now closed