I want to alter my Council House

Contact us before Making any Major House Alterations or Extensions

If you wish to carry our major alterations to your home, you must write to the Housing Maintenance Section, outlining the proposed changes, giving details of an approved contractor.  

Under no circumstances should alterations to your property be carried out without the prior written approval of the County Council.

This includes:

  • Installation or conversion of heating systems including stoves
  • Installation of electric showers
  • Total replacement of kitchen units
  • Building an extension

Should you require an extension to your home, you should submit a housing application form completing the section for extensions to your area housing officer.  

We will assess your need for an extension and a survey will be carried out to see if the property is suitable.  In some cases a transfer to another property may be a more suitable solution.