Library membership is free for everyone.
Removal of Fines
- From the 1st of January 2019, library members will not have to pay fines for overdue items and no existing fines will be collected.
- All charges on members’ accounts as of the 1st of January 2019 will be removed.
- We are encouraging members of the public to return undamaged, overdue library items to their local libraries. There will be no fines to pay and we would be happy to reactivate your library membership for you to begin using your local library again.
The removal of fines is a key aim of the new public library strategy 'Our Public Library 2022: inspiring, connecting and empowering communities' which was published in June 2018. The strategy states, ‘The library is a free lifelong resource that should be available to all without barriers or charges'.
Returns and Renewals
- No fines does not mean no responsibility. You will continue to receive reminders and overdue emails to prompt you to return items to the library. Please return items on or before their due date to allow them to be borrowed by other library users.
- Please continue to renew your items online, by phone or in person at your local branch.
- If there is an issue in returning the item, please contact a library staff member to discuss this.
- If you do not either return an item or contact a library staff member to discuss an overdue item before you receive a third overdue notice, your card will be blocked from taking out or renewing any further items, including e-books and e-audiobooks.
Reminder emails are sent as follows:
- 3 days before due date: reminder email
- 1 day after due date: reminder email
- 3 weeks after due date: reminder email
- 9 weeks after due date: final reminder email - item considered lost, card borrowing privileges blocked and user requested to present to the library
- There will be no replacement charge for children’s items which have been lost or damaged.
- Library members under 18 will not be asked to pay replacement costs.
- You will be asked to pay a replacement charge if the item which has been lost or damaged is an adult item. This cost will be calculated as the purchase price of the item.
- Replacement charges can be paid at any library branch, regardless of where the item originated from.
- There is a charge of €1 for a replacement library card.
Printing and Photocopying Charges
|Black & White||€0.20||€0.40|