Local Improvement Scheme (LIS) - Private Roads
This scheme is funded by the Department of Rural and Community Development. It provides funding for improvement works on small roads and laneways in rural Ireland which are not maintained by the Local Authorities. These roads provide access to people’s homes and farms or to amenities such as lakes, rivers or beaches and must be available for use by members of the public i.e. access to the roads must not be inhibited or restricted. The funding provided must be complemented by a local financial contribution from landowners/householders.
Eligible road projects:
Eligible road projects are those that involve the construction or improvement of non-public roads as follows:
- Road projects which provide access to parcels of land of which two or more are owned or occupied by different persons engaged in separate agricultural activities; or
- Road projects which provide access for harvesting purposes (including turf or seaweed) for two or more persons; or
- Road projects which provide access to at least one parcel of land owned or occupied by a person engaged in agricultural activities AND which separately provides access for harvesting purposes (including turf or seaweed) for at least one other person; or
- Amenity Roads - non-public roads leading to important community amenities such as graveyards, beaches, piers, mountain access points or other tourist/heritage sites. Such roads may not account for more than 25% of the allocation provided to each Local Authority.
Non-eligible road projects:
The following road projects are not eligible for funding under the Scheme:
- A road open to the public which only benefits one landowner.
- A road serving only houses or buildings occupied or used by persons not engaged in agriculture.
- A road with gates (entry or exit) restricting access as it is not considered open to the public.
- A road serving only Local Authority properties.
- A road leading to bogs developed commercially for large scale turf production.
- Projects involving drainage works only.
- A road leading to commercial enterprises.
- A road involving minor works which is within the competence of the applicants to do themselves.
- A road which, because of its small size, would involve work which the Local Authority would consider as being uneconomic to carry out.
Please download the Local Improvement Scheme Application Form for full terms & conditions.