What is ‘Not Around Us’?
Wexford’s ‘Not Around Us’ initiative is an invitation from young people to consider your activity in spaces where there are children and young people, in order to provide smoke/vape free environments for our young people and to help de-normalise smoking and vaping for the next generation. Not Around Us is another step Towards a Tobacco Free Wexford.
The purpose of ‘Not Around Us’ in Wexford is fourfold:
• Helping to protect children and young people from second-hand smoke exposure
• Contributing to the de-normalisation of smoking for children and young people
• Raising awareness and support amongst all stakeholders in the county on tobacco/vape free Ireland and everyone playing a part in supporting it
• Signposting to HSE Quit services
Who should get involved?
Initially we are asking all not for profit and public organisations who have children and young people engaged with their facility/space to get involved.
As we progress we will ask the wider businesses community to join us on the campaign. If you are a business who would like to get involved, please email us to express your interest.
How to get involved?
There are a number of steps to take before you register and pledge to the campaign.
1. To consulted with the young people who use the area/facility/service to discuss the ‘Not Around Us campaign and to determine if the ‘Not Around Us’ message is something they would like your organisation to adopt. Some guideline for youth consultation are provided here.
2. If the young people are in agreement with your organisation supporting the campaign then you should review your own policies to ensure they include the key aims of the campaign – “helping to protect children and young people from second-hand smoke exposure & contributing to the de-normalisation of smoking for children and young people”.
3. Before sign up you should also discuss and agree within your organisation that you are committing to supporting and promoting the ‘Not Around Us’ activity to your own stakeholders and within our organisation.
Upon completion of these steps, register and sign the campaign pledge here to apply to join the ever increasing “Not Around Us’ in Wexford network of healthy areas, chosen in consultation with young people where they can be free from smoking and vaping.
What happens next?
Once you have completed the registration form your application will be reviewed and you will be provided with a supporters pack for your facility. This will include signage and a copy of the supporter charter to display in your premises.
As we progress, we will publicise the Not Around Us in Wexford supporter locations.
We will also work with supporter organisations and young people across County Wexford to help us to build the campaign.
Collaboration and Support
Healthy Wexford are leading the campaign for Not Around Us in Wexford, in partnership and collaboration with Wexford Comhairle Na nOg, HSE, Wexford Children and Young Person Services, WWETB, Wexford County Council, Wexford LCDC, FDYS, Sports Active Wexford, Wexford GAA, Leinster Rugby, & Wexford FAI. The initiative is funded by the Healthy Ireland Fund, with additional support from Wexford County Council.
• Guidelines for Youth Consultation
• Copy of the ‘Not Around Us’ Supporter Charter
• Image of Not Around Us in Wexford signage
For More Information Contact:
Annette Dupuy, Healthy County Coordinator, Wexford County Council
Phone: 053 9196525