Gorey is a dynamic, modern town with a diverse population (10,366, CSO 2016) who require and deserve a high standard of public space with attractive recreational oppotunities. The re-developed town and district park will provide this. Furthermore, the extended park will provide diverse recreation opportunities for citizens in the wider hinterland of North Wexford and South Wicklow. It will also be an attraction for visitors providing quality, free recreation opportunities.
The design brief has specified that the executed design must be fully accessible, environmentally sustainable, and aesthetically brilliant with clear educational purpose and incorporate a high degree of innovation. This will ensure it is life cycle appropriate, accessible and available to all.
The objectives for the new park are as follows;
- The external aspect of the park will convey an attractive first impression.
- A high quality landscape design will incorporate the existing two parks (Gorey Town Park and Gorey Showgrounds) into a well-designed and coherent new park that becomes a landmark within the area and is considered an exemplar in landscape architect-led design and a template for modern parks in Ireland.
- Innovative proposals and eye-catching schemes ensure the park becomes a leading visitor attraction and tourist destination for the south east of Ireland.
- Unique distinguishing elements or groups of elements and a variety of uses, facilities and attractions ensure extended visits and encourage repeat visits.
- Park users are encouraged to interact with the parkland by measures that encourage active participation.
- Sensory experiences will be integrated throughout the design.
- The park shall be universally accessible and facilitate universal enjoyment with an engaging park experience provided to people of all ages and abilities.
- The proposed water features will incorporate the first phase of a Constructed Wetland.
|May 2019||Commence construction|
|April 2020||Complete construction|